Friday, January 27, 2012

Me...Biased?

            Whether or not people are aware of it, we are all biased. I am just as biased as anyone else in the world, even though I may not want to be. I happen to have a bias towards younger children, as opposed to teenagers and adults. Sometimes if I’m at a dinner party with little kids and adults, I unconsciously find myself gravitating towards the games and conversations of the kids.  Not only are kids usually more energetic and optimistic, but they have such a sincere curiosity about life. My theory is that my mind works the same way as the minds of kids: I would rather talk about simple, fun things like food or games rather than worry about college, politics, and “teen drama.” Life was so simple back when we were little, and I guess I subconsciously miss that part of life.
            Kids are also relatively non-judgmental. I think I possess a bias towards them because I can full on engage with them without having the slightest care what they think of me. While adults might comment, “Look at that girl’s shirt. I bet she gets her clothes from the trash,” a kid might only think to themselves, “Hm...cool shirt,” and leave it at that. This bias impacts the way I interact with people because it makes me want to have lighter, simpler conversations. I could talk for hours with someone about rollercoasters or the beach (random, I know), but would probably walk away when the conversation becomes really deep and complicated.
            What I do understand about my bias is that it does not stem from hatred towards any one group, but rather from a particular liking of a group’s behaviors and beliefs. I know that although I possess this bias, I do spend the majority of my time engaged in conversations with people of my own age or older, and that I don’t dislike any of these people. In fact, they are my closest friends.

1 comment:

  1. Jessie: this is really interesting, especially the part when you write, ". . . but would probably walk away when the conversation becomes really deep and complicated."

    What does this say about your bias? Any ideas? Can you push this further?

    It's interesting because you frequently say lots of "deep and complicated" (i.e. "smart") things in class. Is it because of the different environments?

    ReplyDelete